Recipe by Sean McDonnell
The best tasting enchiladas ever! Perfect amount of spice, and very tasty
Top Review by Sharlene~W
You didn't specify what size cans for the tomato products. I assumed standard 15 oz cans, but it definitely wasn't saucy enough. We had never tried enchiladas with flour tortillas, but were willing to give them a try based on another review. They absorb too much sauce making the enchiladas dry--even with sauce on bottom of pan, stuck. I'll stay with corn tortillas from now on. Was disappointed overall--not enough flavor.
- 2 packages dry enchilada mix (I prefer Lawrys)
- 1 can tomato sauce (Large Can)
- 1 can tomato puree (Large Can)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (Large Can)
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (Large Can)
- 2 lbs hamburger
- 3 lbs shredded cheese (Kraft Mexican)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 green pepper (diced)
- 1 package medium size flour tortilla (24 count)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- In Large Skillet brown hamburger, onion, and green pepper adding salt and pepper.
- In large Saucepan combine tomato sauce,puree,diced tomatoes, and crushed tomatoes.
- Take 1 cup of cold water and mix dry enchilada seasoning with a fork, this will keep the seasoning from clumping together.
- Add to tomato sauce Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Cover in between stirring, and bring to a mild boil Drain cooked ground beef and place into a large bowl.
- add 1 lb of shredded cheese to meat and mix thoroughly.
- place tortilla shell flat on a plate and moisten entire tortilla with some sauce.
- (use a ladel for this) Scoop 1-2 large heaping spoonfuls of meat mixture in the tortilla, and roll tightly.
- scoop 2 ladels of sauce into a 9x13x2 caserole dish.(this prevents the enchiladas from sticking to the bottom)
- repeat making enchiladas and place them side by each until pan is full.
- Cover enchiladas with some more sauce and 1 lb of remaining cheese on top cover with tin foil and bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Repeat process with a second Caserole dish, and also bake at 375 for 20 minutes. You can bake both dishes at the same time. This recipe may be cut in half for less servings. Take out of oven and let cool for about 10 minutes then cut in to squares.