Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
Vandermint liqueur is a Dutch liqueur with a coffee mint flavouring.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, 180 ml
- 1 7⁄8 cups brown sugar, 470 ml
- 3 eggs, well beaten
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water, 125 ml
- 1⁄4 cup mint chocolate liqueur, vandermint 60 ml
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, 80 g
- 2 1⁄4 cups pastry flour, 560 ml
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda, 8 ml
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder, 4 ml
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk, 180 ml
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar or 4 1⁄2 tablespoons icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons diluted instant coffee (or 1 tablespoon diluted instant coffee and 1 tablespoon vandermint liqueur)
VANDERMINT COFFEE FROSTING
- 1⁄3 cup light cream, 80 ml
- 1 cup granulated sugar, 250 ml
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, 30g
- 1 tablespoon mint chocolate liqueur, vandermint 15 ml
- 1⁄2 teaspoon instant coffee, 3 ml
- 1 tablespoon hot water, 15 ml
- 2 tablespoons butter, 30 ml
- CAKE: Cream the butter with the sugar until very light and fluffy. Add the eggs, beating well.
- Pour the water and liqueur over the chocolate in a sauce pan. Heat over medium heat to a thick syrup. Cool. Add to egg mixture.
- Sift the flour, soda, baking powder and salt together three times. Incorporate the flour and buttermilk into creamed mixture in thirds. Pour batter into two-9 inch /22cm greased and floured cake pans.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 25-30 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before transferring cakes to cooling rack. Slice each cake lengthwise and fill with whipped whipping cream or your favourite buttercream or the Mocha filling. You will have 4 layers. Frost with Vandermint Coffee Frosting.
- FOR THE FILLING: Beat the butter with the confectioners’ sugar until light and fluffy and stir in the cocoa and coffee. Divide filling evenly between the 4 layers.
- VANDERMINT COFFEE FROSTING: In a double boiler cook the cream, sugar, chocolate and the coffee, which has been dissolved in the hot water. Add the butter and cook for 6 minutes. Remove from heat. Beat until frosting reaches a spreadable consistency.
- International Family Favorites Ron Kalenuik.