1/3 Photos of Dutch Stamppot With Rookworst
Pure comfort food! Stamppot consists of mashed potatoes mixed with various ingredients like carrots, onions or kale, and it was one of my favourites when I lived in Holland. It is often served as the main meal, with a smoked, spicy sausage such as rookworst. I tend to cook it as taught me by my Dutch friend, Anna, with lots of root vegetables, and in large quantities. My family have always loved it. It does contain a lot of butter, but you can add less (or more!) to your preference. Note: In Australia, in place of butternut squash, use Jap, Kent, Queensland Blue or Butternut pumpkin.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs potatoes (900g)
- 1 lb butternut squash (500g) or 1 lb buttercup squash (500g)
- 1/2 lb sweet potatoes (250g) or 1/2 lb yam (250g)
- 3 large carrots
- 2 large parsnips
- 1 large turnip
- 1 large leek
- 1 onion
- 1 lb savoy cabbage (or use green cabbage, kale, Swiss Chard, silverbeet or collards)
- 1/2 cup butter (or less to taste)
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves (optional)
- 1 1/2 lbs dutch sausage, such as Rookworst (or other spicy sausage such as Spanish Chorizo)
- 1Prepare the vegetables: Peel and roughly chop the potato, Butternut squash (pumpkin), sweet potato/yam, carrots, parsnips and turnip. Peel and finely chop the onion. Wash any grit from the leek and cabbage, then slice both fairly finely.
- 2Place the chopped vegetables in a large stock pot, and add water to barely cover. Place over heat, cover, bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, around 20 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, cook the rookworst as per the instructions on the wrap, or saute the chorizo, or other spicy saudage you choose, in a little oil. Slice, then keep warm.
- 4Drain the vegetables well, then mash - but not too smoothly - some lumps are good ;-) Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the butter, and mix through (use less than 1/2 cup if you prefer). If desired, stir through the chopped parsley.
- 5Serve the stamppot topped with the sliced sausage, and if you are really decadent, with an extra knob of butter!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dutch Stamppot With Rookworst
Serving Size: 1 (577 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 742.1
- Calories from Fat 435
- Total Fat 48.4 g
- Saturated Fat 20.9 g
- Cholesterol 106.5 mg
- Sodium 1272.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.4 g
- Sugars 10.3 g
- Protein 20.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: