Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a rich, but a little different split pea soup. I have been making this for 30 years. I have no idea where it came from. It takes a little time to make, but it is worth it.
- Cut the ribs into serving pieces.
- Place ribs and next five ingredients in a large saucepot.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and cover.
- Simmer two hours.
- Cool in the refrigerator until any fat has hardened and can be removed easily.
- Discard the fat.
- You can do this the day before and leave in refrigerator overnight.
- Before serving add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cover.
- Simmer one hour, or until all vegetables are tender.