Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Avery nice warming stew Posted for ZWT#6 2010
Make and share this Dutch Spiced Beef recipe from Food.com.
- Cut round steak into serving size pieces; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet heat butter until hot, but not brown.
- Brown the meat on both sides; set aside.
- Add sliced onion to the skillet and brown lightly; remove from pan.
- Add water to the skillet; return the meat and the onion.
- Add vinegar, prepared mustard, bay leaf, and whole cloves.
- Cover and cook slowly 1 1/2 hours, or until tender, turning every 30 minutes.
- Place the steaks on a serving platter. Remove the bay leaf and cloves and place onions on the platter.
DH loved this steak. I made half the recipe but added more water while cooking. I also used olive instead of butter. I only ended up cooking the steak for a 30 minutes but it was very tender & juicy. I served the onions over rice. Made for ZWT 6- No-Nonsense Nibblers
This is SO good! Every ingredient has it's place in this recipe. Our only complaint was that I didn't make double the sauce! The onions caramelized and eventually burned, but the flavor was still outstanding. I added about 1/4 cup extra water 1/2 way through the cook time and next time will probably adjust the timing better to match the thickness of the steaks. We very much enjoyed this recipe with Oven Chipped Potatoes. Thanks for posting, TJ! :) Made & enjoyed for ZWT6 Team Xtra Hot Dishes!