Recipe by Vino Girl
This bread should be allowed to stand for a day before eating, to allow the flavor to develop. From Taste of Home's Quick Cooking (November/December 1998)
Top Review by waynejohn1234
Just found this recipe while searching for something different in quick breads. We love Dutch spicy bread but all my recipes have honey which I do not like. Thanks for a great one without honey and a nice blend of spices. Definitely has to age for a couple of days before it's true flavor can be appreciated. Sliced thinly with butter or cream cheese and it is great with an afternoon cup of coffee.
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Combine corn syrup, brown sugar and egg; mix well.
- Combine dry ingredients in another bowl; add to the egg mixture alternately with milk and mix well.
- Pour into a greased, wax paper lined 9x5 loaf pan.
- Bake for 80-90 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes in the pan before removing it and placing it a wire rack to cool completely.
- Wrap and let stand for 24 hours before slicing.