1/2 Photos of Dutch Speculaas Cookies (With Slivered Almonds on Top)
Taken from a little community cookbook "Cooking on Clogs" that has some great family recipes compiled by Dutch ladies especially for when they pined for typical Dutch recipes and treats that were not available to them shop-bought when they emmigrated to other countries. I like the fact that these cookies don't just specify the vague ingredient "speculaas kruiden" (spices) but actually tell you how to make the spice mix from scratch. Each region and many local bakers within regions had their own, often highly prized and highly secret mixture of spices,and competition between then to have the most popular was fierce. These differ from my other Speculaas recipe in that they contain aniseed and ginger in the mix, and also that they do not contain ground almonds within the cookie mixture, but feature slivered almonds on the top so they are more like the giant decorative speculaas that you will find in Dutch shops from late November in the run up to Sint Nicolas on December 5th. ZWT REGION: The Netherlands.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cream butter and sugar together.
- 2Gradually add sifted dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, mixing well, until the dough forms a ball.
- 3Place on a floured surface and roll out very thinly until it's about 3 mm (1/8th inch) thick.
- 4Use cookie cutters to shape into desired forms
- 5Brush the tops with lightly beaten egg white.
- 6Decorate tops with slivered almonds.
- 7Bake at 190 C (375 F) for about 12 minutes or until light golden brown.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dutch Speculaas Cookies (With Slivered Almonds on Top)
Serving Size: 1 (1110 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 129.3
- Calories from Fat 60
- Total Fat 6.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 13.3 mg
- Sodium 87.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 8.1 g
- Protein 1.7 g