1/2 Photos of Dutch Speculaas Cookies (Contains Ground Almonds)
Taken from a little community cookbook "Cooking on Clogs" that has some great family recipes compiled by Dutch ladies especially for when they pined for typical Dutch recipes and treats that were not available to them shop-bought when they emigrated to other countries. I like the fact that these cookies don't just specify the vague ingredient "speculaas kruiden" (spices) but actually tell you how to make the spice mix from scratch. These cookies available year round in NL but the large, often highly decorative cookies, often made to a regional or local spekulaas spice recipes that are the cooks closely guarded secret, and often topped with slivered almonds, make their appearance in late November in the run up to Saint Nicolas on December 5th. Cooking time includes refrigeration time and yield is a total guess because it depends entirely how large you choose to make your cookies :) ZWT REGION: The Netherlands.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cream the butter and sugar together, then beat in the salt, almonds, egg and 3 tablespoons of milk.
- 2Add the flour and spices and enough of the remaining milk to make a stiff dough. Mix well to work in all of the flour throughout the mixture.
- 3Roll into a ball, cover with cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 4Roll out and use a wooden Speculaas form to make decorative shapes or use cookie cutter forms. Place on a greased baking tray, brush lightly with milk and bake at 200°C (400°F) for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dutch Speculaas Cookies (Contains Ground Almonds)
Serving Size: 1 (1029 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 207.2
- Calories from Fat 74
- Total Fat 8.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 28.1 mg
- Sodium 115.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 14.6 g
- Protein 3.1 g