Recipe by keen5
This is wonderful with any grilled meats and a welcome change from baked beans! Prep time includes snapping or cutting the beans.
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, cut into small pieces
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 lbs fresh green beans, snapped or cut
- 4 medium tomatoes, blanched,peeled and chopped,saving the juice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon basil
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon until limp and curling, saving the grease.
- In a large pan or Dutch oven, saute onions and garlic in butter over low heat.
- Add green beans, tomatoes, juice from tomatoes, bacon, bacon grease and white wine.
- Season with salt, pepper and basil.
- Cover and let the mixture simmer for 30 minutes, or until beans are tender.
- Add small amounts of wine or water if the sauce reduces too much during the cooking.
- There should be about 1/2 cup liquid remaining when the beans are cooked.