Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
Here is a different way to prepare ground beef. Most of the year this recipe is referred to as Slavinken, except in the spring when It is referred to as "Salad Birds," on menus in hotels in the Netherlands.
- 2 slices black bread or 2 slices white bread
- 1⁄4 cup milk or 1⁄4 cup flat beer
- 1 lb ground pork
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 6 slices thin bacon
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- pan dripping, from slavinken
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup light cream
- FOR THE SLAVINKEN: Crumble bread, pour milk or beer on top and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Squeeze bread to remove excess liquid, if any.
- Place in a bowl.
- Add ground pork, salt, pepper, nutmeg, allspice and onion.
- Knead mixture until well blended.
- Form into 6 cylinders and wrap a slice of bacon around each one.
- Secure with a wooden pick.
- Melt butter in a cast-iron frying pan.
- Fry the slavinken over medium heat, 6 minutes on each side.
- Remove to a hot platter as they become cooked, and keep warm.
- Serves 6.
- FOR THE MILK GRAVY: Stir flour into the remaining fat in the pan used to make the slavinken and cook over medium heat until it becomes a caramel colour.
- Add milk and light cream.
- Stir until creamy.
- Add parsley and season to taste.
- Pour over meat or serve separately.
- World of Food.
So simple and so good. The only thing I did different was to mix the ingredients in with the meat about 7 hours before shaping and wrapping with bacon. This way the meat was more flavorful. Thank you. Will be a repeat offender in our home.
The meet was very good but the sauce was way too greasy and had very little flavor. Maybe our ground pork was too fatty? I will try it again with a few different twists in the gravy.
Had some extra ground pork in the fridge, looked up any recipe that had it and ran across there....made them almost exactly to spec, with a little extra allspice, and added some fresh basil to the sauce...most excellent!!...Thanks for a great party food!...