1/4 Photos of Dutch Slavinken With Milk Gravy (Ground Pork Cylinders)
Here is a different way to prepare ground beef. Most of the year this recipe is referred to as Slavinken, except in the spring when It is referred to as "Salad Birds," on menus in hotels in the Netherlands.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 slices black bread or 2 slices white bread
- 1/4 cup milk or 1/4 cup flat beer
- 1 lb ground pork
- salt and pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 6 slices thin bacon
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1FOR THE SLAVINKEN: Crumble bread, pour milk or beer on top and let stand for 10 minutes.
- 2Squeeze bread to remove excess liquid, if any.
- 3Place in a bowl.
- 4Add ground pork, salt, pepper, nutmeg, allspice and onion.
- 5Knead mixture until well blended.
- 6Form into 6 cylinders and wrap a slice of bacon around each one.
- 7Secure with a wooden pick.
- 8Melt butter in a cast-iron frying pan.
- 9Fry the slavinken over medium heat, 6 minutes on each side.
- 10Remove to a hot platter as they become cooked, and keep warm.
- 11Serves 6.
- 12FOR THE MILK GRAVY: Stir flour into the remaining fat in the pan used to make the slavinken and cook over medium heat until it becomes a caramel colour.
- 13Add milk and light cream.
- 14Stir until creamy.
- 15Add parsley and season to taste.
- 16Pour over meat or serve separately.
- 17World of Food.
Browse Our Top Dutch Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dutch Slavinken With Milk Gravy (Ground Pork Cylinders)
Serving Size: 1 (138 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 290.3
- Calories from Fat 210
- Total Fat 23.3 g
- Saturated Fat 9.4 g
- Cholesterol 72.5 mg
- Sodium 134.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 15.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: