Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A tasty soup that I make into a meal by serving it with a salad and some crusty bread.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 5 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 lb cooked small shrimp
- Melt butter in a 5-quart pot over medium-high heat; add flour and cook, stirring, until mixture is bubbly.
- Remove from heat and gradually stir in broth; return to heat and cook, stirring, until sauce is smooth, thick and boiling.
- Stirring constantly, gradually add milk and cream; then stir in parsley, paprika, dill, lemon juice, and tomato paste.
- Cook just until heated through, about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in shrimp and cook for 1 more minute.
Wonderful soup that's very very pretty. Don't care for dill so substituted fresh chopped basil and used 1 cup fat free half and half with the balance in milk. It works beautifully because there is flour in the recipe-it won't separate. I had larger shrimp on hand and think they worked very well. Thanks for a great supper, Hey Jude.
Really good! It may seem like large amounts of seasonings, but it is very mild-tasting yet flavorful. I added about 1/2 cup chopped onion and sauteed it in the butter before adding the flour; otherwise, I made it as written. Thanx for a fantastic (and easy) soup. I'll be repeating this one.