Recipe by Buster's friend
This is an adapted recipe - adapted from a recipe that showed up in my email. It sounds like it would be very pretty on a buffet - bridal shower perhaps?
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup gouda cheese, grated (mature)
- 1⁄2 lb shrimp, cooked (either tiny pink or larger but finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chives, minced
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, grated
- 1 lemon, paper thin slices
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the roulade base: Grease the 8 x 10 inch baking sheet and line with greaseproof paper.
- Preheat the oven to 390°F.
- Melt the butter in a small pan, stir in the flour and cook for a few minutes. Add the milk and continue stirring; bring to the boil and cook until the mixture thickens.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a large bowl and cool slightly.
- Separate the eggs.
- Beating thoroughly, add the yolks to the sauce one at a time, then add the cheese.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff and fold them into the sauce.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking sheet spreading it evenly.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until just golden brown.
- Turn the cooked roulade base onto a second piece of greaseproof paper, peel off the bottom piece. Cover with clean kitchen towel.
- Make the filling while the base is baking:
- Mix the shrimps with the lemon juice and chilli pepper.
- Beat the cream cheese with the umer, snip the chives and add with the orange zest.
- Fold in the shrimps and season to taste.
- Spread the shrimp mixture over the still warm roulade base.
- Using the greaseproof paper as an aid, roll lengthwise.
- Transfer to a long serving platter and slice.
- Garnish with lemon slices.