Prep 45 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Barbecued Brisket Dutch oven style.
- 3 lbs beef brisket or 3 lbs buffalo
- 1 cup white wine
- 3 cups apple cider
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 teaspoons habanero sauce
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon whole coriander seed
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- Combine wine, cider, honey, mustard, Habanero pepper sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, ginger root, coriander and thyme in a large Dutch oven or heavy roasting pan.
- Add brisket,cover tightly,and place in the oven set to 350F; cook for about 1 hour.
- Remove brisket from the cooking liquid, cover and set aside.
- Pour the liquid into a medium pan and cook over medium heat until reduced to a glaze, just thick enough to coat back of spoon.
- Using covered grill, light about 12 charcoal briquettes and add small piece of water soaked mesquite, pecan, hickory, or other woods.
- Be sure to place charcoal and wood to one side of grill.
- Arrange brisket on grill, fat side up, so that it is not directly over burning wood.
- Paint it with some glaze.
- Place cover on grill and smoke brisket for about 1 1/2 hours, turning meat and coating with glaze every 15 minutes.
- Add charcoal or wood, small pieces at a time, if fire seems to get too cold.
- Remove from grill, thinly slice meat against grain and serve.
- Offer any remaining glaze on side.