1/3 Photos of Dutch Oven Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
1 hr 5 mins
Want to impress your guests but still cook something homey? This is it... this tastes wonderful, of course, but cooking it in the dutch (cast iron) oven makes it absolutely GORGEOUS. You won't be disappointed!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple slices
- 10 maraschino cherries
- 1Preheat oven according to instructions on cake mix.
- 2Melt the butter over medium high heat in the iron skillet. Remove from the heat and sprinkle the brown sugar evenly to cover the butter.
- 3Next, arrange pineapple rings around the bottom of the pan, one layer deep. Place a maraschino cherry into the center of each pineapple ring.
- 4Prepare the cake mix by mixing the mix, water, oil and eggs together, substitute some of the pineapple juice for some of the liquid in the directions. (NOTE: make sure to check the back of the cake mix box, you want to prepare the cake per the instructions on the back and it may vary depending on the type of mix you get).
- 5Pour the batter over the pineapple layer in dutch oven.
- 6Bake as directed by the cake mix directions. Note: You may have to cook it for longer - test the middle with a clean knife, this really varies - sometimes even doubling the cooking time.
- 7Cool for 10 minutes, then carefully turn out onto a plate.
- 8NOTE: Do not let the cake cool too much or it will be stuck to the pan.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dutch Oven Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
Serving Size: 1 (133 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 272.9
- Calories from Fat 135
- Total Fat 15.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 73.2 mg
- Sodium 83.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 32.5 g
- Protein 1.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
pineapple cake mix