1/2 Photos of Dutch Oven Paella
Don't have a paella pan? Here's a dutch oven recipe from America's Test Kitchen. The Dutch oven should be 11 to 12 inches with at least a 6-quart capacity.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb extra-large shrimp, peeled and deveined (21/25)
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat and halved crosswise
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut pole to pole into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- 8 ounces chorizo sausage, Spanish sliced 1/2 inch thick on the bias
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine (about 1 cup)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained, minced, and drained again
- 2 cups rice, Valencia or 2 cups arborio rice
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron thread, crumbled
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 dozen mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 1/2 cup frozen green pea, thawed
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges, for serving
- 1Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position; heat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Toss shrimp, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, 1 tablespoon oil, and 1 teaspoon garlic in medium bowl; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed.
- 3Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper; set aside.
- 4Heat 2 teaspoons oil in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until skin begins to blister and turn spotty black, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer peppers to small plate and set aside.
- 5Add 1 teaspoon oil to now-empty Dutch oven; heat oil until shimmering but not smoking. Add chicken pieces in single layer; cook, without moving pieces, until browned, about 3 minutes. Turn pieces and brown on second side, about 3 minutes longer; transfer chicken to medium bowl. Reduce heat to medium and add chorizo to pot; cook, stirring frequently, until deeply browned and fat begins to render, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer chorizo to bowl with chicken and set aside.
- 6Add enough oil to fat in Dutch oven to equal 2 tablespoons; heat over medium heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 3 minutes; stir in remaining garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes; cook until mixture begins to darken and thicken slightly, about 3 minutes.
- 7Stir in rice and cook until grains are well coated with tomato mixture, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in chicken broth, wine, saffron, bay, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Return chicken and chorizo to pot, increase heat to medium-high and bring to boil, uncovered, stirring occasionally. Cover pot and transfer to oven; cook until rice absorbs almost all liquid, about 15 minutes.
- 8Remove pot from oven (close oven door to retain heat). Uncover pot; scatter shrimp over rice, insert mussels hinged side down into rice (so they stand upright), arrange bell pepper strips in pinwheel pattern, and scatter peas over top.
- 9Cover and return to oven; cook until shrimp are opaque and mussels have opened, 10 to 12 minutes.
- 10Let paella stand, covered, about 5 minutes. Discard any mussels that have not opened and bay leaf, if it can be easily removed. Sprinkle with parsley and serve, passing lemon wedges separately.
Browse Our Top Spanish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dutch Oven Paella
Serving Size: 1 (574 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 668.6
- Calories from Fat 183
- Total Fat 20.3 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 200.4 mg
- Sodium 1120.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 47.3 g