Recipe by Steve_G
An interesting experiment... My goal was to get a bird from oven to table, as fast as possible (no brining) by utilizing a super-hot oven and the closed environment of the dutch oven. The result was a tender, VERY flavorful bird that would lend itself to many variations. Lemon/Oregano, Apple/cinammon, Lime/Cilantro.. etc...
Top Review by Lighthouse Rita
This was very good. I changed the recipe slightly. I used chicken breasts and only 2 teaspoons of salt. I just couldn't bring myself to put in 1 tablespoon. I lowered the temperature of my oven to 475 due to other reviews. I cooked it for 60 minutes covered and 15 uncovered. My drippings were not too black to make a sauce. The onions and oranges both had excellent flavor. Thanks for sharing.
- 4 -5 lbs roasting chickens, rinsed and trimmed of excess fat
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 1 orange, cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon canola oil (for the skin)
FOR THE DRY RUB
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 500 degrees while you're cleaning bird and prepping ingredients.
- Place a small rack in the bottom of a large dutch oven.
- Whisk the canola oil and soy sauce in a small bowl, Mix rub seasonings in a bag.
- Loosen the skin on the chicken with your hands and paint the canola/soy mixture UNDER the skin and in the cavity.
- Apply dry rub under skin and in cavity, it will stick very well to the soy/oil mix.
- put two onion quarters and two orange slices in the cavity.
- Use your hands to rub the last TB of oil all over the bird, Place bird breast side down in the dutch oven, place remaining orange slices& onion quarters around bird.
- You can toss in the neck and giblets in there too.
- Put the lid on the dutch oven and bake for 50 mins covered, Remove cover and bake for another 15-20 mins, until internal temp reaches 170 degrees the thickest part of the thigh.
- Allow to sit, uncovered for 10 mins before serving.
- The pan drippings make for an outstanding sauce, just deglaze with a bit more orange juice or some white wine, allow to thicken, season, strain and serve.