Top Review by Miss Tinkerbell
I just got a dutch oven today and had london broil in the fridge that I needed to cook up for dinner. This recipe was spot on. I followed the recipe with the exception of onions, garlic and mushrooms because of allergies and personal preference. And I added extra pineapple because we love it. Plus added green peppers and carrots. delicious and simple. Thank you! Definitely a keeper.
- 4 lbs beef chuck cross-rib roasts, boneless
- 2 tablespoons cooking fat
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple juice, drained from tidbits
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 stalks celery, cut 1 inch diagonal pieces
- 13 1⁄4 ounces pineapple tidbits
- 4 ounces canned mushroom slices
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- In a Dutch oven, or large pan with a tight-fitting cover, brown meat in fat.
- Season with salt and pepper and remove from pan.
- Pour off fat drippings.
- Add soy sauce, pineapple, juice, ginger, and onion; mix well.
- Return meat to pan.
- Cover and simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until done.
- (Or cook in a 325F oven for same amount of time.) Turn meat once to cook it evenly throughout.
- during the last 20 minutes of cooking, add celery, pineapple tidbits, mushrooms, and juice.
- When meat is done, remove and keep warm.
- Skim fat from liquid.
- Mix cornstarch in water.
- Add mixture slowly to liquid in pan.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and cook until thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Taste sauce and correct seasoning, if necessary, with salt and pepper.
- Slice meat, and serve sauce separately.