1/1 Photo of Dutch Oven Garlic Rosemary Studded Venison Rump
2 hrs 30 mins
I found this recipe in a hunting magazine. It is from Chef John Reilly.It was rated in the top 10 for venison. It is very flavorful and super tender. I actually used a neck roast in place of the rump.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 -6 lbs boned-out rump roast
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 tablespoon cracked pepper
- kosher salt
- 3 sprigs rosemary (whole sprigs)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 -3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 large Spanish onion, chopped
- 1 cup good quality red wine
- 6 stewed plum tomatoes
- 6 cups unsalted beef stock or 6 cups bouillon
- 12 -14 small onions, skin removed
- 6 parsnips, peeled and cut 1/2 inch slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1Remove silver skin/sinew and excess fat from roast. Rub meat with several of the crushed cloves of garlic. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Tie the meat into roast.
- 2Using a long, thin knife pierce the roast several inches deep in a half-dozen evenly spaced areas. Using a teaspoon handle, push crushed garlic pieces and rosemary leaves into slits. Rub roast with olive oil.
- 3Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- 4Place dutch oven on stove over high heat. When pot is hot, sear roast, browning on all sides. Remove roast and reduce heat to medium. Add 1-2 Tbs olive oil. Saute carrots, celery, and onions to brown.
- 5Add roast back to pot. Pour red wine over roast. Add stewed tomatoes. Add stock to cover. Bring to simmer on stovetop. Cover with lid and place in preheated oven.
- 6After rump goes in oven, prepare cippolini onions and parsnips. Place large saute pan on stovetop over medium high heat. Add veggies and saute to brown. Set aside.
- 7One hour into cooking rump, add veggies to the pot and replace lid. Cook additional 30-60 minutes until meat is fork tender.
Browse Our Top Deer Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Deer Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dutch Oven Garlic Rosemary Studded Venison Rump
Serving Size: 1 (566 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 906.6
- Calories from Fat 440
- Total Fat 48.9 g
- Saturated Fat 16.2 g
- Cholesterol 226.8 mg
- Sodium 833.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.5 g
- Sugars 15.0 g
- Protein 67.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: