Dutch Oven Dill Bread for the Fireplace
- Dissolve the yeast in water in bowl and let stand for 3 minutes.
- Add the next six ingredients [including the baking powder] Beat until well blended.
- Add eggs and enough flour for a stiff dough. Knead for one minute or until dough is smooth. Cover and let rise until double in bulk about 1 hour.
- Punch down. Place in well buttered 8 inch or 9 inch baking round pan. Cover and let rise fo 35 minutes.
- Preheat a dutch oven with a rimmed lid for 5 to 10 minutes over hot fire. Place an inverted pie pan or metal trivet into the oven. Place pan with dough onto the inverted pan. Cover with a tightly rimmed lid. Place a few hot coals on the lid. and bake for 45 to 50 minutes on a grill over a medium fire until cake tester comes out clean.
- If bottom is browning too fast, push a few coals away or roll away a burning log. If you wish a more browned top: Five minutes before bread is baked, loosen with a knife and flip over for 5 minutes to brown top.
- To unmold remove from dutch oven. Cool for 5 minutes and invert on plate. Brush top with soft butter.
- Serve hot or cold.