3 hrs 30 mins
chef blade's Note:
A regular chicken can't match the taste of a fresh hen. Very little fat here. Let this bird rest for 20 min. before quartering. Serve with the vegetables and buttermilk biscuits!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2Rinse and pat dry the hen.
- 3Season outside, and cavity with salt and pepper.
- 4Stuff onion skins, celery leaves and bay leaves inside.
- 5Place hen into heavy Dutch Oven, legs up.
- 6Brush hen with oil and paprika.
- 7Pour stock around bird and cover with lid.
- 8Place pot into oven, lower temp to 325.
- 9Cook for 2 hours.
- 10Carefully remove Dutch Oven and spread veggies around the hen, lightly season w/s&p.
- 11Re-fit the lid and return to oven for 1 more hour.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dutch Oven Country Hen
Serving Size: 1 (877 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1157.4
- Calories from Fat 621
- Total Fat 69.0 g
- Saturated Fat 18.6 g
- Cholesterol 462.1 mg
- Sodium 534.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 85.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: