Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A regular chicken can't match the taste of a fresh hen. Very little fat here. Let this bird rest for 20 min. before quartering. Serve with the vegetables and buttermilk biscuits!
- 1 (4 lb) fresh hen
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 4 celery ribs, 2 inch diagonally sliced,leaves reserved
- 4 carrots, 1 inch diagonally sliced
- 1 onion, quartered,skin reserved
- 4 new potatoes, unpeeled,halved
- 1 box frozen cut corn
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Rinse and pat dry the hen.
- Season outside, and cavity with salt and pepper.
- Stuff onion skins, celery leaves and bay leaves inside.
- Place hen into heavy Dutch Oven, legs up.
- Brush hen with oil and paprika.
- Pour stock around bird and cover with lid.
- Place pot into oven, lower temp to 325.
- Cook for 2 hours.
- Carefully remove Dutch Oven and spread veggies around the hen, lightly season w/s&p.
- Re-fit the lid and return to oven for 1 more hour.
DH and I love a good baked hen. I prepared this according to directions with the exception of adding creole seasoning to "kick it up a notch". I seasoned liberally inside and out with the creole seasoning. This makes a great "Sunday Dinner".