1/1 Photo of Dutch Oven Cashew Chicken
From my recent Texas Co-op Power magazine - while originally intended for camp cooking, this recipe has been modified for the stove-top. No traditional oriental ingredients here (soy sauce, hot peppers, etc.) but after all, the submitter IS a Texan.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 4 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups cashew halves
- 3/4 cup water, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks, in natural juice
- 1Add oil to Dutch oven or large skillet and heat to medium-high.
- 2Add onion and bell pepper; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- 3Add chicken breasts, carrots, celery and cashews.
- 4Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 15 minutes, stirring often. Add 1/4 cup water if needed.
- 5In a medium bowl, mix 1/2 cup water with sugar, vinegar, ketchup and cornstarch. Blend until smooth then stir in pineapple (including juice).
- 6Add cornstarch mixture to chicken and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- 7Lower heat and simmer for another 20 minutes or until chicken is done.
- 8Serve over hot rice.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dutch Oven Cashew Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (498 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1027.9
- Calories from Fat 310
- Total Fat 34.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.5 g
- Cholesterol 164.5 mg
- Sodium 704.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 107.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 79.5 g
- Protein 75.2 g