I combined a couple of ideas and came up with this. This is for a deep 12 inch cast iron dutch oven. Amounts are approximate, use whatever size cake mix and pie filling you have, easily double the recipe for bigger crowds. We burned ours in about 10 minutes by putting a too hot log on top so BE SURE TO CHECK IT OFTEN!
- Place dutch oven over approximately 15 charcoal briquettes or over coals on a flat spot in the fire ring.
- Empty pie filling into Dutch oven.
- Spread dry cake mix on top of pie filling and spread evenly. Sprinkle with cinnamon to taste.
- Cut butter or margarine into even sized pieces and arrange on top.
- Put lid on dutch oven and arrange 10 hot charcoal briquettes in a checkerboard pattern on top or scatter hot coals over lid.
- Bake until done (this could be anywhere from 10 to 45 minutes depending on how hot your fire/coals are).