Chef Gardoani's Note:
I got this recipe from "The Bread Book", by Bernard then added a few of my own touches. These biscuits will get the boys out of their sacks and come running to mornin' grub.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Lightly grease a 14" dutch oven or line with parchment paper.
- 2Preheat to 500 degrees. This is a hot oven so use lots of coals on the bottom and the top to preheat. Be sure to remove most of the bottom coals just before you begin to bake the biscuits or you'll burn the bottoms.
- 3In a mixing bowl, sift together the dry ingredients.
- 4Cut in the shortening with a pastry blender, or two knives. Your done when there are little balls of dough about the size of a pea.
- 5Pour in all of the milk at once. Stir with a fork until just mixed. Too much mixing will release the gluten and make a heavy biscuit. The dough will be quite wet but able to retain its shape.
- 6Use a soup spoon and drop the biscuits into the dutch oven. Give each biscuit a little room to grow.
- 7Place the lid on loaded heavy with hot coals. Place the oven back on a bed of just a very few coals. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- 8Remove and serve immediately with lots of butter and sweet jam.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dutch Oven Biscuits
Serving Size: 1 (108 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 276.5
- Calories from Fat 124
- Total Fat 13.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 5.0 mg
- Sodium 652.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 7.1 g