Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Allow one hour cool time.
Make and share this Dutch Mocha Chocolate Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup hot coffee (bold and strong brew)
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream
- 5 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 18 ounces white chocolate baking squares, chopped
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter
- In a medium bowl, stir together the cocoa powder and the 3/4 cup sugar. Gradually whisk in coffee until mixture is dissolved. Cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, grease and lightly flour three 9x1-1/2-inch round baking pans. Set aside. Sift together cake flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a very large bowl, beat butter with electric mixer for 30 seconds. Add 1 cup sugar and vanilla; beat well.
- Whisk or stir the sour cream into the cooled cocoa mixture. Add flour mixture alternately with cocoa mixture to the creamed mixture, beating after each addition until just combined.
- Using clean beaters, in a large bowl, beat egg whites on medium to high speed about 1 minute or until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add 1 cup sugar and beat on high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Gently fold about one-third of the egg white mixture into creamed mixture to lighten. Fold in remaining egg white mixture.
- Divide mixture among the three prepared pans. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean. Cool cake layers in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove the cake layers from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
- Frosting: In a heavy saucepan, melt 18 ounces chopped white chocolate baking squares or bars over low heat. Cool until slightly warm. In a large bowl, beat one softened 3-ounce package cream cheese with an electric mixer until smooth. Cut 1-1/2 cups butter into pieces. Add to cream cheese; beat until fluffy. Gradually add cooled chocolate, beating until well blended.
- Frost. Cover and refrigerate. Allow to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.