Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Growing up in Iowa, you become accustom to the seasonal trips to Pella and the delicious Dutch Letters from Jaarsma Bakery. This recipe lets you replicate the Dutch Letter with out the trip. This recipe appeared in the Des Moines Register a number of years ago.
- 1 cup butter, Melted
- 1 (8 ounce) can almond paste
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk (reserve the egg white)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- sliced almonds (reserve for topping)
- coarse sugar (reserve for topping)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a mixer, combine ingredients and blend well. Spread in 9X13 in pan. Brush with egg whites, sprinkle with sliced almonds and coarse sugar.
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown. Do not over bake.
One of the kids brought this to school today and it is AWESOME! And addicting. Luckily there were just enough bars for each of us.