Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup light raisins
- 8 ounces diced candied orange peel (1 cup)
- 1⁄4 lb unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1 teaspoon powdered instant espresso
- 1 cup dark brown sugar or 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- Position oven rack in the center of oven; preheat to 350°; butter a 10 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan or any loaf pan with a 10 cup capacity.
- Dust pan all over with fine dry bread crumbs, and tap to shake out the excess over a piece of paper; set aside.
- Sift together the flour, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and salt.
- In a small bowl stir and toss the raisins and orange peel with about 2 tablespoons sifted dry ingredients; set aside the fruit and remaining sifted dry ingredients.
- In the large bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter until it softens slightly.
- Mix in the powdered espresso and then the sugar; beat to mix.
- Add in the eggs one at a time, beating until incorporated after each addition.
- Place the honey in a bowl; add the baking soda through a fine strainer, stir to mix, then add the buttermilk, and stir to mix (the mixture will be slightly foamy).
- To the butter mixture, add the sifted dry ingredients in three additions, alternating with the liquid in two additions, scraping the bowl with a rubber spatula and beating on low speed only until incorporated after each addition.
- Remove from the mixer and stir in the floured raisins and orange peel.
- Turn into prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for about 1 hour and 10 minutes, until the top feels semifirm to the touch.
- If the top begins to brown too much during baking, cover it loosely with foil (the top will be flat, not rounded).
- Let the loaf stand in the pan 15-20 minutes; then invert onto a rack; let the loaf stand until completely cool.
- Then wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.
- Cut into thin slices.