Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
ZWT 6. Comfort food. This recipe is supposed to be a typical dutch meal. I got it from nlplanet.com and adapted it. You can use stew meat or any cut of beef, since it is stewed. It sometimes takes an hour and a half for the meat to be really tender. In that case, I add about 1/3 to 1/2 cup more beef broth at the beginning so that it doesn't dry out. I like to use chuck for this. If you use a better cut of beef, it will be ready in 45 minutes.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef, cut up into bite-size pieces
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups sliced onions
- 1⁄4 cup diced celery
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 peppercorns
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cracked pepper
- Brown the onions in the butter or oil.
- Add flour, mix well and cook 1 minute.
- Add beef broth and bring to a boil.
- Add all other ingredients.
- Lower heat to simmer and cook for at least one hour or until meat is tender.
- Adjust seasoning if necessary. You may want more salt.
- Serve over mashed potatoes, with cooked cabbage on the side.
a very nice basic pot roast i cook longer than 45 minutes cause my cuts arent as expensive as yours lol we start cheap at casa dees , but really good zaar 6 tour