Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
A distinctive and flavorful sandwich.
Top Review by Sandi (From CA)
Yum, yum, YUM! Used an extra aged Gouda (18 months, though three years would offer an even better flavor) and it was absolutely out of this world! My Dutch husband introduced me to the very aged ("Old Amsterdam", in the black wax label) Gouda and I haven't looked back since. I never thought to add cumin seeds and use rye with caraway, but they perfect an already amazing sandwich. Thank you so much for posting this. I may never eat one my usual way again! I want another already...
- 3 tablespoons butter, at room temperature and divided
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 6 ounces best quality medium-aged gouda cheese, coarsely grated
- 8 slices rye bread, with caraway seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large nonstick skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over low heat.
- Add in the onions; cook very slowly, stirring occasionally, until the onions turn a dark golden color; about 30-40 minutes.
- If the onions start to scorch, add about 1 tablespoon water.
- Remove the onions from the pan and set aside.
- Wipe skillet using a paper towel; do not wash skillet.
- Heat the same skillet over med-high heat.
- Add in the cumin seeds and toast just until they become fragrant, approx 3 minutes; watch carefully because they burn easily.
- Remove the seeds and let cool briefly.
- Do not wash the skillet.
- When the seeds are cool, crush them using a mortar/pestle.
- In a bowl, toss the crushed seeds with the cheese.
- To make the sandwiches: butter one side of each bread slice.
- Place 4 slices on a work surface, buttered side down.
- Distribute the cheese evenly over the 4 slices, then do the same with the onions.
- Place the remaining 4 slices on top, buttered side up.
- Heat the same skillet over med-high heat for 2 minutes.
- Put the sandwiches in the skillet (do this in batches, if necessary), cover, and cook for 2 minutes or until the underside is golden brown and the cheese has begun to melt.
- Uncover and turn the sandwich using an spatula, pressing firmly to flatten the sandwich slightly.
- Cook for 1 minute or until underside is golden.
- Turn the sandwich again, press with spatula, and cook for 30 seconds or until the cheese has melted completely; serve.