Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another recipe from Holland. There was only one resturant near "Drie Bergen" that made this and my Dad use to drive for miles to get some. Tastes a lot like the Japanese cucumber salad. Wonder where they got it? Or is it the other way around.
- 2 -3 large cucumbers
- 8 -10 ounces white vinegar (Japanese seasoned sushi vinegar can also be used)
- 3 -5 tablespoons sugar
- 1 -2 thinly sliced onion
- Wash and peel cucumbers.
- Slice or cut in rounds as thin as possible cukes & onions.
- Place in bowl and cover with vinegar.
- Add 3-5 heaping tablespoons of sugar, Mix well.
- Chill and serve.
- This is better if you let it sit in the fridge covered overnight. Actually. if allowed to mellow for 2 or 3 days -- in a tightly sealed jar in the refrigerator -- JAR TURNED UPSIDE DOWN 1 day & turned right side up the next.
Delicious. For a variation, I used two English cucumbers instead of 3 regular cucumbers, and seasoned rice vinegar.
I added sliced sweet onions and relived a dish from my grandmother's table. Truly wonderful!
Very refreshing, though I just might tone down the sugar a tad next time. Great on sandwiches!