Prep 35 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 8 ounces unsalted butter, Med-hard consistency
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄2 egg white
- to taste slivered almonds (optional)
- Grease a 1 1/2 X 8" round cake pan and dust it with flour.
- Mix the flour, baking powder and sugar.
- Cut in the butter.
- Make very sure that the butter is neither too hard nor too soft (remove from refrigerator 1 hour before using.) Mix well.
- Add almond extract, salt and egg yolk.
- Mix well or just grease your hands and knead the dough, until it is very smooth.
- Place the dough into the prepared pan and press down firmly.
- Brush the top generously with the egg white. Slivered almonds may be placed on the top of the cake for extra flavor.
- Bake 350 F. for 30-35 minutes.
- Allow to cool thoroughly before serving.
delicous and simple.. this will grace my easter table this year
Thank you, I have been looking for this type of recipe. We used to rool the dough into 2 rounds and add an almond filling between the layers!