Recipe by Bollie
Dutch butter cake with apricot,almonds and ginger syrup filling. Butter cake is a very old dutch recipe, this is a modern variation !
- 250 g flour
- 175 g caster sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 225 g chilled butter
- 100 g soaked dried apricots
- 50 g flaked almonds
- 2 tablespoons ginger syrup
- 1 tablespoon milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees celcius (400F).
- Mix flour, sugar and salt.
- Cut the butter into pieces and mix into the flour.
- Knead the butter and the flour together with one hand until you have a firm dough ball.
- Cut the apricots in small pieces and mix them with the almonds and ginger syrup.
- Press half the dough into a 24cm/10 in round pie dish.
- Spread the apricot mixture over the top.
- Roll out the other half on a lightly floured work surface until it is the same size as the dish.
- Place over apricot filling, firmly pressing the pastry edges together.
- Now use the blunt side of a knife and decorate the dough with cross-hatching markings.
- Brush with milk.
- Bake the butter cake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow to cool and just before serving slice cake into wedges.