1/1 Photo of Dutch Brown Ragout Soup
This is another favorite traditional Dutch soup recipe. We often had this on a cold winter night with a hearty bread. We had a lot of soups growing up, and Mom would make basic small meat balls, and keep them in the freezer to toss into the various soup recipes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 chopped tomatoes
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 slices bacon
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup flour
- 8 cups beef broth
- 1 pinch thyme
- bay leaf
- 1 pinch mace
- ground fresh pepper
- 1 dash maggi seasoning or 1 dash Kitchen Bouquet or 1 dash soy sauce (Worcerstershire if preferred)
- 2 tablespoons madeira wine or 2 tablespoons port wine
- 1/2 lb small cooked meatballs
- 1/4 lb fresh mushrooms, whole if small or chopped
- 1Saute the first five ingredients with bacon in butter until tender.
- 2Add the flour and stir constantly for about 4- 5 minutes.
- 3Add 3 cups of the broth, stirring to avoid any lumps.
- 4Add the rest of the broth and push through a sieve, or use immersion blender to make a thick broth.
- 5Add the seasonings, the wine, meatballs and mushrooms.
- 6Simmer for 20 minutes, or until the mushrooms are barely cooked and the meatballs are heated through.
Browse Our Top Dutch Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dutch Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dutch Brown Ragout Soup
Serving Size: 1 (2994 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 753.7
- Calories from Fat 441
- Total Fat 49.0 g
- Saturated Fat 25.5 g
- Cholesterol 109.9 mg
- Sodium 2795.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.0 g
- Sugars 13.9 g
- Protein 20.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: