Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe was found on the website About.com with other recipes from the Netherlands.
- 5 ounces smoked bacon, cubed
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 5 shallots, chopped
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 large leek, sliced in rings
- 1 tablespoon ground paprika
- 3 lbs pinto beans, drained, rinsed
- 12 ounces tomato puree
- 3 cups beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 dash salt, to taste
- 1 dash pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup celery leaves, chopped
- In a large pot, fry the bacon in the butter, then add shallots, carrot, leek & ground paprika, mixing well.
- Add beans, tomato puree, beef stock & bay leaves, then bring the soup to a boil. Reduce heat & simmer 15 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves, then season to taste with salt, pepper & Worcestershire sauce.
- With a stick blender of food processor, process the soup until somewhat smooth. Add celery leaves just before serving.
Another winner Syd.. made this as posted.. except added an extra 1/2 tablespoon butter, and used 4 shallots. The kids wanted extra bacon next time.. A definate pleaser here with everyone. Very comforting soup for a cold night, Made for PRMR tag.
Syd, as usual you have posted a very tasty recipe. I made this soup today for lunch...perfect for a winter day in WI. Soup is always one of those dishes where it is hard to please everyone in the family....usually there is something the kids try to pick out. The only negative comment I heard was "Next time can you not add quite as much carrot". I did not blend the soup but instead mashed it with a potato masher, because some of my kitchen items are still packed from our recent move. I will be adding this soup to my soup cookbook...will definitely be making it again. Made & reviewed for the Winter Newest Zaar Tag Game.