Recipe by Sydney Mike
This recipe was found on the website About.com with other recipes from the Netherlands.
Top Review by weekend cooker
Another winner Syd.. made this as posted.. except added an extra 1/2 tablespoon butter, and used 4 shallots. The kids wanted extra bacon next time.. A definate pleaser here with everyone. Very comforting soup for a cold night, Made for PRMR tag.
- 5 ounces smoked bacon, cubed
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 5 shallots, chopped
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 large leek, sliced in rings
- 1 tablespoon ground paprika
- 3 lbs pinto beans, drained, rinsed
- 12 ounces tomato puree
- 3 cups beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 dash salt, to taste
- 1 dash pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup celery leaves, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, fry the bacon in the butter, then add shallots, carrot, leek & ground paprika, mixing well.
- Add beans, tomato puree, beef stock & bay leaves, then bring the soup to a boil. Reduce heat & simmer 15 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves, then season to taste with salt, pepper & Worcestershire sauce.
- With a stick blender of food processor, process the soup until somewhat smooth. Add celery leaves just before serving.