Recipe by mollypaul
A lovely, aromatic bread from the Pennsylvania Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago 1947.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk, hot
- 1 cake yeast, softened in
- 1⁄4 cup water, lukewarm
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups soft breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Add butter and sugar to hot milk and stir until butter is melted and sugar dissolved.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Stir in softened yeast, eggs and flour (use more flour if necessary to make a stiff batter).
- Beat mixture thoroughly, cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled.
- When light, beat again thoroughly.
- Grease and flour three 9" cake pans.
- Fill the pans with dough.
- Combine soft bread crumbs with melted butter, brown sugar, salt and cinnamon and mix well; sprinkle over tops.
- Let rise for 20 minutes and bake at a preheated 400F oven for 20 minutes.