Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A lovely, aromatic bread from the Pennsylvania Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago 1947.
- Add butter and sugar to hot milk and stir until butter is melted and sugar dissolved.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Stir in softened yeast, eggs and flour (use more flour if necessary to make a stiff batter).
- Beat mixture thoroughly, cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled.
- When light, beat again thoroughly.
- Grease and flour three 9" cake pans.
- Fill the pans with dough.
- Combine soft bread crumbs with melted butter, brown sugar, salt and cinnamon and mix well; sprinkle over tops.
- Let rise for 20 minutes and bake at a preheated 400F oven for 20 minutes.