Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a recipe for a very old fashioned Dutch fudge called Borstplaat, and is posted to aid a request looking for a long lost family recipe... it comes from a small community dutch cookbook made by ladies who went to New Zealand between 1940 and 1970 and pooled information about all their favourite dutch recipes, substitutions etc becuase they couldn't get specialised ingredients from "home". No measurement was given for the butter so I have started with 2 Tablespoons and will increase/decrease it once I have made this myself, ditto the 1 Tablespoon of flavouring essence... if you make it before I do, I would appreciate any info on more precise quantities. The recipe also only states 'essence" and not what flavour, I added "almond" becuase otherwise the Zaar computer turns it into Spice essence LOL, Serving size is a total guesstimate so that the recipe could be uploaded. Again, once made, I will amend the recipe. ZWT REGION: The Netherlands.
- Moisten moulds on greased paper.
- Bring sugar and water to the boil and boil, stirring constantly until a drop of the liquid forms a thread when dropped from a spoon.
- Remove from heat, add flavouring of your choice, and then the butter.
- Keep stirring until the mixture becomes more solid, then pour quickly into the moistened moulds.
- Cool and remove paper and moulds.