Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
This recipe by Hugh Jans from his cookbook (KOKENIN EEN KASSEROL) got my attention w/its easy prep + use of gingerbread. The ingredient list appears daunting, but is mostly condiment & spice-based. While the recipe uses a Dutch oven from start-to-finish, I think it may also work to do initial prep at the stove & transfer the mixture to a crockpot for the "simmer over low-heat" final part of the cooking. I have not made this dish, so would need to experiment w/that method to ck out any chg of the cooking time. *Enjoy*
- 1 1⁄4 lbs rib eye steaks (boned & cut into 1/2-in cubes, SEE NOTE below for other cuts of meat that may be used)
- salt & pepper
- 3 ounces butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 large onions (quartered)
- 1 large garlic clove (finely chopped)
- 2 ounces flour
- 2 slices gingerbread (firm-textured gingerbread, thick-sliced & cut into 1/2-in cubes)
- 2 cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 pints beef stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree or 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon red wine
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- Tabasco sauce (optional)
- Season meat lightly w/salt & pepper.
- Heat the butter & oil in a Dutch oven. Saute the onions & garlic till the onion is transparent.
- Add the meat & brown it lightly. Stir in the flour & saute to a nut-brown color.
- Add gingerbread cubes, cloves, bay leaves, basil & cumin. Mix well.
- Add stock, tomato puree, red wine & vinegar. Cover & simmer for 1 1/2 hrs over low-heat.
- Serving Suggestions: Add a little Tobasco or Worcestershire sauce if a more pungent flavor is desired. Serve w/boiled rice or buttered noodles + braised cabbage or red beans.
- NOTE: While the recipe calls for a rib steak, I would be more inclined to use sirloin, round or even Swiss steak w/the extended cooking time to tenderize.