Recipe by noway
I grew up in a very Dutch community in Iowa. This is from one of my hometown's community cookbooks. Looks similar to rice pudding. Posted for ZWT6.
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 2 quarts water
- 1 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 29 ounces sliced peaches, canned
- prune (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring the pearl barley, water, and raisins to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer for 1.5 hours or until barley and raisins are tender.
- Add sugar, peaches with juice, and prunes (optional).
- Boil about 10 minutes.
- Let cool. The dessert will thicken when cold.