Recipe by ElaineAnn
Posting for ZWT6 - Germany - Benelux
Top Review by Chef floWer
We really enjoyed these home made baked beans. I substituted the bacon for celery sticks to make it a vegetarian meal. I also reduce the sugar to 1/4 cup as I thought it would be to sweet for my palette. The whole family really enjoyed this recipe. Thanks for posting it ElaineAnn
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 (20 ounce) cans white kidney beans
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons catsup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon until not quite done; drain and set aside. (Bacon should not be brittle.)
- Saute onions in 2 or 3 tablespoons bacon fat.
- Take 1 can of beans and rinse and drain well; use other can as is.
- Pour the unstrained can into large frying pan. Add brown sugar; stir until sugar is melted. Add onions and rest of the beans.
- Chop bacon; add to mixture, along with catsup, spices and salt.
- Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.