Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
One of the early recipes in our household - we like to make single serving babies in 6 inch cast iron skillets because they are sooo pretty when inverted onto a plate (that was what we had from the second hand store - LOL). Gotta have accompaniments (& eaters)ready before pulling them out of the oven though - they come out puffed like a souffle & the center falls fast, leaving a crispy edge & custardy center. Great with thick rashers of bacon & maple or huckleberry syrup (especially when it's really cold out)though others love these with fresh fruit, powdered sugar & whipped or sour cream.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- powdered sugar
- Have the bacon at least started.
- Place cast iron skillets in oven.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Whisk milk, eggs & salt together.
- Add flour to liquid & whisk until just blended.
- When the oven has come to heat put 1 Tablespoon butter in each of 2 6inch skillets (or into a large skillet if willing to cut to serve) and swirl to coat bottom & sides of skillet. Don't worry if it browns & foams - this makes it yum!
- Pour batter into hot buttered skillets & put back in oven.
- Cook 15 minutes until center is puffed & golden-brown & no longer jiggly - will take 5 to 7 more minutes with larger skillet.
- To serve, invert onto plate, sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar & serve. FAST!
I had never heard of these until I was "Recipezaar Surfing" and came across this. Intrigued I searched under "Dutch Babies" and found 11 recipes listed. I decided to make yours and we love this. So many options when serving, I am not even going to try any of the others because this worked out so well. >>~~Thank you~~<< so much for sharing this. I made it in one large cast iron skillet because I do not own small one. Did not change a thing. ~*This is 'company for breakfast' good with all the options you have for toppings*~
Turned out great. Just like My buddies sister used to make for us the morning after a late night of drinking.