Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
You can have this all-year round if you freeze several portions of the apricots during the summer when they are plentiful! The crumb topping is what makes this pie SO special. Summer-time in a pie-plate--how neat is THAT!?
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 4 cups sliced fresh apricots (about 16)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 (9 inch) pastry for single-crust pie
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans, lightly toasted
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine sugar and tapioca, add 'cots and juice; toss to coat; let stand for 15-20 minutes (get the pie crust ready).
- Line pie plate with bottom crust; trim edges 1/2-inch beyond edge of pan edge; flute prettily.
- Pour filling into crust; set aside.
- Prepare topping: combine flour, sugar and nuts; stir in melted butter.
- Sprinkle topping over filling.
- Cover edges loosely with strips of foil (prevents burning).
- Bake for 15 minutes, remove foil; continue baking for another 25-30 minutes (golden brown, bubbly filling).
- Cool on wire rack; serve warm.
- Store leftovers (hhahaha) in the fridge.
We loved this pie! Used Splenda and it worked well. The apricot flavor was intense and blended well with the streusel - and the toasted pecans were a great textural contrast.Will make this one again- thanks for sharing!!!
This was delicious! The fruit could have done with a bit more sugar but I suppose it depends on the sweetness of the apricots. The topping was nice and crunchy - I loved the fact it used nuts(I used walnuts). Thanks for posting this recipe!