Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is one of the Zaar recipes that I adopted. Thanks a bunch to Julesong for her suggestions in helping me edit the recipe! Note: to make this salad low carb, substitute jicama for the apples and turnips for the potatoes.
- 1 1⁄3 cups ham, diced and cooked
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 3⁄4 cup potato, diced and cooked
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 3 small dill pickles, chopped (about 1/4 c)
- 1⁄3 cup blue cheese dressing or 1⁄3 cup buttermilk dressing or 1⁄3 cup feta cheese dressing
- 1 teaspoon minced onion
- lettuce leaf, to garnish
- paprika, to garnish
- Combine ingredients and serve on lettuce leaves.
- Garnish with paprika.
I was a little nervous about the combination here but was looking for a departure from my usual fare. My homemade dressing had a bit too much celery seed but I loved the salad itself. It was fun having a mix of sweet and savory chunks. My only change was to add 1/2 cup of dressing and to mix the lettuce with an alfalfa-onion sprount blend. The sprouts paired really nicely with the salad. Thanks Dreamgoddess.
Made this recipe for dinner last night as part of the Adopted Recipe Swap! :) Did tweak it a little, but the overall concept of the salad is a good one. Definitely "European" in flavor. Steingrim dislikes apple in salad. However, he said this is the first salad he's had w/ apple in it that he's liked, and said I'm supposed to make it again - high praise! Good pick, Dreamgoddess! :)