1/1 Photo of Dutch Apple Pie Bars
2 hrs 2 mins
1 hr 15 mins
King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons ice water
- 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2-3/4 cup sugar (depends on tartness of apples and personal preference)
- nutmeg (a pinch)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 -6 cups peeled cored diced apples (Granny Smith)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1Preheat oven to 425°; lightly grease a 13x9 inch pan.
- 2Crust: in a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and salt; using a pastry blender, cut in the butter.
- 3Drizzle the beaten egg over the mixture; toss lightly to combine.
- 4Add the ice water 1 tablespoons at a time, stirring gently until the dough starts to clump together; grab a fistful; if it sticks together easily, you have added enough water.
- 5Roll the dough into a generous rectangle to fit your pan.
- 6Place the dough in the pan; prick it all over with a fork; bake it for 10-12 minutes, until it is set and barely starting to harden.
- 7Filling: in a bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, spices, and salt together; add in the apples, tossing to coat.
- 8Stir in the vanilla, then the cream; spread the filling over the crust.
- 9Topping: in a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, and cinnamon.
- 10In another bowl, combine the melted butter and extracts; pout over the flour mixture.
- 11Stir until the butter is absorbed and the mixture forms fairly even crumbs; sprinkle over the filling.
- 12Bake for 15 minutes; decrease temperature to 350°; bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the topping is brown and the filling is bubbly.
- 13Remove from oven and cool on a rack; let them cool to lukewarm before cutting.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dutch Apple Pie Bars
Serving Size: 1 (1716 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 202.6
- Calories from Fat 89
- Total Fat 9.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 34.8 mg
- Sodium 127.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 13.2 g
- Protein 2.1 g