Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 mins
Served on December 6 th, St. Nicholas' Eve.
Make and share this Dutch Apple Fritters (Apelbeignets) recipe from Food.com.
- Peel and core apples and cut into lengthwise slices between 1/3 and 1/2 inch thick.
- Mix beer with flour and salt until smooth and free of lumps.
- Dip apple slices into batter and let excess drip off.
- Fry a few slices at a time in fat heated to 370 F.
- turn once so they become golden brown on both sides--about 4 minutes in all.
- Drain one a paper towel and serve warm sprinkled with sugar.
- Makes 6 to 10 servings.
- *VANILLASUGAR: Place 1 pound confectioners' or granulated sugar in a jar with 2 or 3 vanilla beans.
- Close jar tightly and let stand for 48 hours before using.
- Replenish sugar as it is used up.
- Use as called for in individual recipes.
- Beans need replacing only after 4 or 5 months.
- Visions of SugarPlums.
This is a REALLY fast recipe with few ingredients and hardly processed. I made this recipe as submitted and decided that no salt is necessary, but perhaps a bit of sweetness to help with the browning and American tastes. I used a tablespoon of molasses on one try and agave nectar on another. Also, organic granny smiths from my tree, no salt, organice all-purpose flour and canola oil on one try. The winner with my family was an even easier version of chopped apples fried in coconut oil. The refined version doesn't take like coconut, but the extra-virgin unrefined coconut oil was fabulous. My augmentations, several photos and quick vanilla sugar recipe (I had this in Belgium) for those who don't keep it on hand is on my website. Thanks for the push to make apple fritters with all these apples, Olga! http://www.goingveggie.com/wordpress