Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
An unusual coffee cake with the addition of cheese, lovely combination.
- 3⁄4 cup light sour cream
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup extra finely granulated sugar (also called berry or basterd sugar)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 granny smith apples, peeled and sliced
- 8 ounces mild gouda cheese, cut in wedges
- 2⁄3 cup demerara sugar (coarse dark)
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds or 1⁄2 cup hazelnuts
- Mix the sour cream and baking powder in a bowl, set aside.
- In a seperate bowl, mix the flour and salt.
- Cream the butter and berry sugar.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract, beating until light and fluffy.
- Add the sour cream to the butter mixture.
- Mix well.
- Add the flour and salt mixture and again, mix well.
- Grease a 9" square glass pan and spread 1/2 of the batter in the pan. Place 3/4 of the apples and cheese wedges in a concentric circle on top of the batter.
- Add remaining batter and top with the rest of the cheese and apples.
- Mix the brown sugar and nuts and sprinkle on top of the cake.
- Bake for 35 minutes at 375 degrees.