Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A traditional recipe.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 egg whites, slightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups sliced peeled apples
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven 375°F Grease and flour a 9 inches tart or pie pan.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, 2 T sugar and baking powder.
- With a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in 1 1/2 T margarine.
- Add egg whites, milk and vanilla; beat until smooth.
- Batter will be stiff.
- Spoon into prepared pan and spread batter to fit pan.
- Arrange apple slices, overlapping, in 2 concentric circles to cover batter.
- In a small bowl, combine 3 T sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over apple slices.
- Dot with 1/2 T margarine.
- Bake 30 minute Cool 10 min before serving.