Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
A sweet, heavy quick bread. You can decrease the amount of sugar by half, and add some cocanut for a nice change.
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup sour milk or 1⁄3 cup apple juice or 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 1 cup chopped apple (skins or not, both okay)
- 1⁄3 cup raisins
- Cream the margarine and sugar.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- Combine the flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the egg mix alternatively with the liquid, stirring between additions.
- Fold in the fruit.
- Bake in a greased loaf pan for approximately 55 minutes at 350 degrees.
Thank You for sharing this! I made it this evening and it came out fantastic! I used margarine and apple juice combinations in the choices available here. The only additional thing I did was to sprinkle about 2 tsps. of light brown sugar over the bread mixture once it was put into the greased loaf pan. I'll definitely give it a try next time with coconut and half the sugar as you've suggested. THANKS again for sharing!
This was so good. I used orange juice so it gave the bread a citrus like taste. Not too sweet, definately an adult snack.
This is a really good bread. I added a little cinnamon & it turned out great. Thanks.