Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
Found this while surfing the net for quick breads. Of Dutch origin.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 2 large eggs, unbeaten
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk or 2 tablespoons sour milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups apples, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 9x5x3-inch loaf pan. Cream together sugar and butter or margarine. Blend in eggs and buttermilk.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to creamed mixture. Mix in vanilla and apples. Pour into pan.
- Combine topping ingredients. Cut through until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter in pan and press slightly. Bake 1 hour. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pan.
Wonderful bread! I am half Dutch, so I thought it would be fun to try something from my ancestry. I am usually nervous about bread recipes that aren't high altitude (I live in Colorado), but this one turned out excellent, very moist and fluffy. I used Braeburns for apples and did the vinegar/milk mixture instead of buttermilk. Thanks for posting!