Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
Tastes like Dutch Apple Pie on a shortbread crust. This is a professionally tested recipe, but be advised that there is much variation between individual ovens, and therefore baking times, temps are a guideline. Please watch your product carefully to guard against over baking as happened below.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups thinly sliced peeled tart cooking apples
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mixe one cup flour and 1/3 cup sugar in mixing bowl.
- Cut in butter, using pastry blener or crisscrossing 2 knives, until crumbly.
- Press in ungreased square baking pan, 9 x9 inches.
- Bake 25 minutes.
- Mix 1/3 cup sugar, 2 tbsp flour and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Stir in apples to coat.
- Spoon over baked layer.
- Sprinkle with crumb topping.
- Bake 35- 40 minutes or until topping is light brown and apples are tender.
- Cool completely.
- For bars cut into 4 x 4 rows.
I have made this recipe several times but mine calls for using a 11x7x2 in pan. I found the crust bakes a little better than the 9x9, however it still takes closer to 35-40 min.
Topping was like crumbs - not sure what happened. Followed recipe exactly! Bottom crust was tough to cut, and apples seemed dried out. Suprprised no milk or water added here - could this be problem? would like to make again, but will not use as is - sorry.